The Washington Post has a detailed story about the trial, and the failures inherent in the case. A few things…
- The Jurors stated that they awarded a massive penalty “to make sure nothing like this will ever happen again” and “Honestly, we thought who was telling the truth was too obvious to be discussing. We held a vote, and everybody believed the colonel. The only argument was how big the damages were going to be.” Furthermore, “Her story had so many details in it that couldn’t have been true. They started questioning her about the [pedestrian] tunnel, she kind of backed off. … She was so evasive. It was unbelievable.” Lastly “There was no doubt in anybody’s mind the colonel had made his case, he was believable.”
- Susan Shannon blatantly and deliberately lied.
- Susan Shannon lied.
- Susan Shannon is a liar.
- And this is ALL from the jurors.
- Ms. Shannon’s account fell apart on the stand.
- She said that she had no idea that the Colonel was up for promotion and that “I had no idea, I don’t read the military press”
- Guess what…she lied.
- “one of her own witnesses testified that Shannon did know, and that it was the motivation for her writing her first blog post.”
- You cannot make this up. Her own witness contradicted her and said she was a blatant liar.
- Susan is now whining that “they felt Fairfax Circuit Court Judge Daniel E. Ortiz wrongly prevented them from presenting witnesses and evidence about Riggins’s past and the Army CID investigation findings, and they plan to appeal.”
- Here is the issue. None of that matters. Here is the case, in a nutshell. The Colonel has to prove that the statement hurt him financially, and what that quantitative number is.
- Susan Shannon has to prove that the story she told was true. The weight of proof is on her. The weight of proof of damage is on the Colonel, but the weight of defense is all on her, since SHE made the statement. She cannot make up a story and then demand the Colonel defend himself. This is why his character does not matter. If he lies on his taxes, it does not make him a rapist. If he was unfaithful to a previous girlfriend, it does not make him a rapist. If he talks too loudly at the movies, it does not make him a rapist.
HIS CHARACTER IS NOT AT QUESTION!!!! He does not have to defend himself, she has to prove her case.
- Her character, unfortunately, IS, at least WRT her honesty.
- If she cheats on her taxes? It does not matter.
- If she talks at the movies? It does not matter.
- If she makes crazy and suspect statements all over the internet and to everyone around here….IT TOTALLY MATTERS!!!!!! Because it goes to credibility. Yes, her crazy views on Newtown matter, because it does.
And her life is nothing if not a massive blow to her credibility. Her online comment were always going to cause her pain, they just finally caught up with her. This has been building for some time, and the dam finally burst. I have to wonder if her husband knew she lied about it all? Does he know how bad her online activity is? Do her kids? Her parent? Any of them? She has to wonder if her husband secretly thinks she is a blatant liar? If her kids are going to go online now and see all of the terrible things she has done and come to the realization that their mom is crazy? Chickens coming home to roost are always painful.
But the tragedy here is more severe. This is the internet age. This will always be out there. When she looks out of the window at the neighborhood block party she has to know that none of those smiling friendly faces want her there. When her kids go back to school, all of their teachers will be talking about her and which has the “crazy liar’s kids”? How many teachers will go to their school’s principal and ask to have her kids taken out of their classroom because they think she might go crazy on them. How many college admissions counselors will look at her kids twice because she might make a scene on campus? Any place she moves, it will only be a matter of weeks before the new neighbors Google her, and then….?
This is terrible for her, and it will only get worse. She NEEDS to disappear from the internet. She needs to stop posting. She needs to delete EVERYTHING she can. But I do not think she will. She has a self-destructive streak that is really concerning. Her husband will suffer. Her kids will suffer. Her parents and siblings will suffer. And she will do all of it TO them, because she does not care about anyone but herself.